We are very proud to announce that we have recently been awarded Cat Friendly Clinic accreditation.
What is a Cat Friendly Clinic?
The International Society for Feline Medicine (ISFM) is the veterinary division of International Cat Care (www.icatcare.org), a charity dedicated to improving the health and welfare of cats worldwide.
We understand that there are unique difficulties in bringing a cat to a veterinary clinic:
- Cats often do not travel well and feel unsafe away from their home
- They are highly sensitive to new sights, sounds and smells
- Most cats prefer quiet and solitude and are highly susceptible to stress
- Most cats are highly stressed by nearby dogs in a vet clinic
- Cats need to be handled gently and with respect in the clinic
Cat Friendly Clinic standard important for vets…
The ISFM Cat Friendly Clinic scheme means that accredited clinics have reached a higher standard of cat care in that they:
- Understand the needs of cats and have made vet visits more cat-friendly
- Understand how to approach and handle cats gently and with care
- Have good knowledge and equipment to manage the care of cats
Achieving the Cat Friendly Clinic accreditation involves all staff, from receptionists and nurses, through to vets. Each accredited clinic also has at least one ‘Cat Advocate’ – someone who ensures the cat friendly standards are adhered to, and who would be happy to talk to you.
Cat Friendly Clinic standard… what does it mean for my cat and me?
An ISFM Cat Friendly Clinic gives you peace of mind and reassurance, letting you know that:
- The clinic has achieved certain minimum accreditation standards
- The clinic and clinic staff have thought about the specific needs of cats
- The staff will be happy to talk with you, show you what they do, and show you around the clinic.